Thursday, August 30, 2007

Kindergarten




For over 5 years I have known this day was coming, yet it has always been so far away. The last year as it grew nearer and nearer, it started to get harder to ignore. Well, today it happened, my baby went off to Kindergarten, with out me, and I cried.

I knew I would, but I am pretty sure its a law that all moms cry so I don't feel bad. And my good friend Stacy cried too, and it was her second time sending off a child. (check out Stacy at 3 men and a little lady)

This morning he decided to sleep in for like the third time in his life, so I had to go wake him up around 7:30-yeah, for my kids, thats sleeping in. I rubbed his hand and whispered, "Hayden, wake up honey." nothing, so, "Hayden, you gotta get up and have some breakfast." nothing, "Hayden, you don't want to be late for your first day of school do you?" Oh my gosh! He jumped up, eyes popped wide open and said, "is it time to go now?"

He was excited to get to wear his new clothes and shoes, especially his Mariners shirt. As Sage lounged on our bed watching Disney channel, the normal early morning routine, Hayden sorta nervously paced around his room. He asked me to spike his hair like the lady did who cut his hair yesterday at the cool "haircut store."

Breakfast was yogurt which him and Sage traded bites. Marlee was busy celebrating her 4 month birthday by chewing on her toes.

At 8:20, we headed out. On the way to school, I started to tell him that I would want a full report when I picked him up, including of course, his favorite part of the day. Part way through this, I lost it. Tears started to roll and I felt like I had swallowed something much to large for my throat. He didn't care though, he was busy telling Sage something about his blue balloon. Marlee was still engrossed in her toes.

I managed to get myself together as we parked. All the other moms and kids were there already. We weren't late, but barely had time to snap a few pictures. Then it happened. The bell rang. The door opened and he was gone. My baby went to Kindergarted, and I didn't even get a proper goodbye. more tears. There were other moms looking a little startled by the disappearing act that just occured. I took my girls back to the car to cry some more. Then we got on with our morning. Sage wanted to get home in time for Dora. She was so excited because Hayden wasn't going to fight her about watching Dora. And, "We are all girls now!" Marlee on the other hand, was very grumpy the whole time Hayden was at school. Took a short nap and was fussy until we went to get her brother.

When the door opened and he came out, he couldn't get out all the events of the day fast enough. He had had a great time. "Mom, we read a story about a gingerbread man, then we made gingerbread men and mine had red spicy candy on it, but when we went back to get them, there was a note and the gingerbread men were gone, so we went to find them and there was flour on the floor, and so we went to the library and they weren't there, and we went to music, and we sang a song, a hello song, but the gingerbread men weren't there either, so we went to PE, MOM, DO YOU KNOW WHAT PE IS??? We got to run around the edge of the PE room. Oh, and we had recess and there are three slides and me and Parker played tag, and he is a really fast runner. .." He kept on going for a long time without pausing for anything more than a quick breath.

What a guy! I wasn't really too worried about how he would do, but he did great and can't wait until he goes back with the whole class next week. I have had a few moments throughout the day, but I think next week will be much easier.

Hayen and his teacher

2 comments:

Auntie Shelly said...

WOW Hayden !!! Your 1st day of school- how exciting !! I luv your M's t-shirt & the Spiderman backpack. Lori- I got tears in my eyes reading your blog- remebering Brianna's 1st day of school and how I cried to- and to think now she's going to be in the 10th grade ... yikes !! I want to hear all about your new school Hayden !!

Allison said...

All my favorite blogs have the same theme...crying moms while the kids trot off to school! Congrats on making it through the first day. I'm with you in the crying club! Check out my blog for a complete description. Needless to say I'm positive that next week will be so much easier!