Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Stephenie Meyer!


Have you ever done anything that you look back on and say, "wow, that was fun, silly, but really fun!"? Well, I just did. Stacy and me went to Portland yesterday to go to the Stephenie Meyer book signing for The Host. Its a 3 1/2 hour drive, but seemed so much shorter, chatting the whole way. While in Oregon, who can resist a little tax free shopping? Not us. We did some damage, but, I like to think mostly about all the money I saved. haha
Stacy and I were really not excited to drive in the city. She got the honors and did fabulous I must say, despite my constant efforts to get her lost. We really wanted to eat at the downtown Spaghetti Factory, but the silly place closes in the afternoon for a few hours, of course, right when we needed to be there. No worries, we had a yummy dinner at the Macaroni Grill.
Then off to the book signing...
We got there about 5:30, doors opened at 6, show at 7. The line was already wrapped around the building. Tons of teenage girls and their moms. Lots of Twilight bags, tees and such. We stood in line behind a cute girl who was quite knowledgable about how the whole thing would go down, and in front of a mom and her girls who were clueless. It was fun to chat with people who shared our obsession.
When we got in the doors, we got our pre-signed copy of the host and a ticket to get it personalized.
The theater was so dark we couldn't even see if seats were empty or not. It was really kind of scary. We got frusterated but ended up on the end of an aisle, pretty close to the front. not bad. Stacy wanted to read but it was too dark to see anything. I had questions to submit, so I got up to figure out how that was going down. I was walking around in the lobby when some kid bumped into me. I saw him coming and my first thought was, "a boy, at Stephenie Meyer? brave" Then I was irritated with him for bumping into me! But then I noticed that he looked a lot like the guy who is playing Sam Uley in the Twilight movie. I practically ran back to Stacy to tell her about my encounter. As I was telling her this, I noticed him walk into the theater and as he walked, he was attracting a crowd. The two sweet girls sitting next to us asked us what was going on and I told them that I was pretty sure the guy was Solomon Trimble. They jumped up and went over in line and ended up getting a great picture of him. They said he was really nice too. He posed for lots of pictures. Stacy couldn't talk me into going over though!

My pictures didn't come out good at all in that horrible, dark theater!At 7, the crowd screamed and screamed when Stephenie came out. It was really exciting. She seemed sorta nervous to be in front of a crowd; she talked really fast. I was sorta sad that I never figured out how to submit questions; mine were really good, much better than what she answered (really nothing new that hadn't been asked at other signings-come on people do your homework before you get there!)
She was done talking before 7:30. She walked right by us on her way out. I could have touched her, but settled for a wave, and she smiled back. Tried to get a picture as she approached, but mostly just got her torso. hahaha The girls next to us got about the same thing.
The signing was a bit of a disappointment. I think we talked ourselves into believing that we would go to ice cream with her or something afterwards. I don't know, we were crazy. With that many people to sign books for, she has to move fast, and boy, we got to the table and she was done with our books before we really knew what happened. It was way too fast. No pictures were allowed. So, we headed back to the hotel after a brief stop at Safeway for some Ben and Jerrys. Stephenie didn't join us. But, no regrets, we had a great time. Maybe she will be in Seattle for the Breaking Dawn tour...
I totally ripped this off from the twilightmoms website! The whole front row was a group of twilightmoms, it was pretty cool to see them too! We were surprised to see that the sign was changed during the show.
Stacy reading Twilight while we wait for our turn to get our books signed. I got my Host and my Twilight signed! woo hoo.
BTW: LOVE the Host, its amazing, on my second read right now :)

5 comments:

MaKayle said...

I thought about going to the one here but then remembered that I HATE big crazy crowds and might not enjoy myself. Haha. The Host is amazing - not quite done yet cause I just can't find enough time to read these days! But I'm getting there.

P.S. Did not know that you guys have a nintendo! That's great! I thought that we were the only ones too!

Allison said...

What a super fun trip! There is really nothing more fun that a road trip with girlfriends!! I think she missed out on your ice cream trip, personally.

Yin said...

Woo Hoo!!! That sounded lake great FUN!!! I'm so glad you were able to go!!!

wind runner said...

Thanks Lori...I had soooooo much fun! I'm going to send people to your website to check out the great trip-because you summed it up perfectly and I'm too lazy to do it myself!

Jamie said...

Groupies!

You guys are too cute, glad you had such a nice time. NO ONE deserves it more than you.