Sunday, September 09, 2007

Lost

Well, week one of kindergarten is in the books. Hayden loves it. He gives great recaps of the days events. He has even had a bit of homework. Mostly a great week...except there was the bus incident. So I have this little kindergartener, and I was a little nervous to send him off to school and a little anxious about him riding the bus. We are carpooling in the mornings, but the bus will drop him at our door after school, so how scary can that be right?


So, Tuesday, Sage was playing at a friends, and me and Marlee were excitedly waiting outside with camera ready to take pictures of Hayden getting off the bus. waiting, waiting waiting. It was the first day so I knew it would take awhile for the driver to get the route down. School is out about 11:22-approximately. About 11:45 the bus comes rolling down the hill. I start snapping pictures. The door opens and... nothing. The driver says, "I'm calling him but he isn't answering, maybe he is shy. You can come call him and see if he comes for you." My Hayden shy??? So I jump up there and call him. There are 4 kids on the bus, none of them belong to me. I tell the driver he is not here. She says that maybe he got on the wrong bus. WHAT??? So what if maybe he didn't? Then where is he? She tells me to call the school, they will know. Yeah right, they will know. Well, what other options do I have. So I tell her good bye and in a nervous, slight panic I tear my house apart trying to find the phone number to the school. Should have it handy, but of course its not. Finally I find it. School has been out for 30 minutes now. So I call, and guess what? The answering machine comes on and informs me that the voicemailbox is full, please call again later! Hayden is missing and the school isn't answering, and I can't even leave a message! You have got to be kidding me! Now I am onto full fledged panic. So I hear the bus again. I go outside and its the same lady as before. She opens her door and asks if he has turned up. Freaking out, I tell her no. What does she do? Shrugs her shoulders, closes the door and drives off. So I call my friend Stacy, her daughter was supposed to ride the bus home with Hayden. Her daughter has made it home! She tells Stacy that Hayden took the other bus. The other bus? Great. Well, at least he is not roaming the streets. Still, I don't feel much better. I call the school again. Someone thankfully answers. She tells me that the bus driver will take him back to the school when he finishes his route. But I shouldn't go to the school because what if he just brings him home. I am a mess by now. A few minutes later (seemed like eternity) a little after noon, the bus pulls up- this is the 3rd time a bus has been to my house. Camera long forgotten, I run up to the doors and burst into tears the second I catch sight of his huge grin. The bus driver tells me that this is his bus. The other woman was confused and he will bring Hayden home each day. So, there was no need for the whole fiasco! In fact the whole thing was of my own making. And as awful as it was for me, Hayden LOVED the bus ride. He tells me that he wants to be a bus driver when he grows up.

Not his bus!

Believe it or not, I did send him back the next day and let him take the bus home. Here he is getting off. That's his buddy, Dean, the bus driver


And how cool is that to have Mom come take your picture as you get off the bus? Never mind that I hug him and kiss him too!

2 comments:

Allison said...

Seriously, great read! Although I know it wasn't fun going through it, it was sure fun to read about! Glad he made it home....finally! LOVED the picture of him annoyed at you and the camera!

Jamie said...

I love that story. Especially the part when the lady says maybe Hayden is shy. Not THAT'S funny :)