Friday, November 02, 2007

Flag Football


Hayden has done basketball, t-ball, soccer, swimming, and most recently flag football. I must admit, this was one sport I was NOT looking forward to. Don't get me wrong, I love football, its great, but I know the dangers, and would prefer my kid avoid any sport that eventually involves beating the tar out of each other every few minutes.
Hayden on the other hand, couldn't wait for flag football to come around. After the monday night Seahawks game last year, the kid is totally obsessed with football. Him and his dad have gone to many high school games here and he just can't get enough. So, we really didn't have much choice other than give it a go.


His team was the purple skeletons! How cool is that? They named themselves if you didn't guess. His buddy Copper from our neighborhood was on his team, so practices and games were really fun to hang out with friends. It was a perfect early fall for flag football, not to hot, not to cold, each time was great- that says a lot, no wind? What a miracle!
Going into the whole adventure, I think I secretly hoped he would either stink at it, or that it would bore him so we could walk away from football. Well, let me tell you that so didn't happen. He LOVED it. and don't mind me bragging, but he was pretty good too! I thought that maybe soccer was his thing, but perhaps there is a little bit of a running back in him. (can't tell you how proud he would be to read that) He can run really fast, and figured out blocking really quick. He got to be pretty good at snatching up flags before the other guys got too far. I figured he would want to be quarter back, but running back is his preference(hence the halloween costume!)
So, if truth be told, I think this flag football was the best sport yet. The games were fabulous. Action, humor, entertainment galore! As with all 4-5 year old sports, its like watching someone herd cats. Those buggers are everywhere. They weren't supposed to tackle, but that didn't stop them. Haydens buddy lived for the whistle to blow the play dead so he could begin throwing kids to the ground. One time, Cooper found himself playing running back and realized on his way down the field that the guy with the ball doesn't get to tackle, so he tossed a lateral to Hayden and tackled the nearest kid. They could have charged admission. It was a kick, Purple Skeletons rock!


Oh, and sports fans, stay tuned for future posts on the current season: back to basketball, this year with coach Dad!

1 comment:

Yin said...

How cute, your handsome football player!
I can't believe he is so big!