Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Turkey Trot

Last Thanksgiving I was early pregnant-too busy throwing up to really appreciate the holiday. I recall Heath calling his parents to wish them a happy turkey day and when he got off the phone he told me that his sister and dad had done a 5K turkey trot. I thought that was pretty cool. I have never gotten any thrill from running, probably because I have never really ran. Well, in my delicate condition, I decided that I would run in 2007, and it would be especially convenient as we would be in Idaho.
Fast forward a year…after lots of time on my treadmill, we arrived at race day. Heath, Harry, Gretchen, Dalton and I were all in on the fun. It was a gorgeous morning, temperature about 17 degrees F at race time. Brrrr, not quite what I had planned for. Well, despite the runny nose and frozen toes, I did it! 5K-3.2 miles. My time? 28:20. Is that good? Is that bad? I don’t know, this was my first ever race. I ran the thing, any time was going to be good. I didn’t think I would ever be able to run 3 miles. I placed 119th out of 282. I’m no Kody or Stacy, but its certainly good enough for me! (you guys are my heros)
Kudos also to Heath, You are so awesome! He was 45th, his time was 22 minutes 17 seconds. Pretty sure he could have done even better, but he ran the first little bit with me. There is no way I ever could have done it without all his encouragement and advice.
And well, gotta say way to go to my father-in-law. He did pretty great too. He had intended to walk it, but instead ran the whole way! Nice! Dalton sooo impressed me too! Good job buddy.
It was a really fun morning. Hopefully this will be the start of a really great tradition.

1 comment:

Allison said...

You ROCK, girl! That time is smokin' in my book! My first 5K was 34 min. something....you did great!