Saturday, February 23, 2008

Bitten



So, I have always enjoyed reading. As a teenager, I read lots of romance novels. Funny story: In my 9th grade English class, Mrs. Gregory had us each come up with vocabulary words taken from our pleasure reading. One week, I was reading Danielle Steele at the time, and I was desperate for a word. I chose voluptuous-it was a big word and I had never heard it before. Hmmm, yeah, looking back, perhaps this wasn’t the best word to pull from my reading. Wonder what Mrs. Gregory thought.
As I headed off to college, I pretty much had to trade my romance novels for text books. Not nearly as fun.
Then the babies came and it was What to Expect when You’re Expecting, followed by Dr. Seuss, Lift-the-Flap books, If You Give a Pig a Pancake, and Don’t let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.
I fell in love with Harry Potter and waited anxiously for each book to come out. I have read all 7 books several times. Hayden and I read book one together, but I’m dragging my feet on book two (it’s a bit scary for him I think). I cried and cried as I read Deathly Hallows, knowing that was the end of the fun. It took me a while to get over Harry. But as the kids talk about him and play HP daily, he lives on.
Well, it seems like it’s been forever ago that my mother-in-law told me about a series she was reading about vampires. What??? Vampires? Yeah, not my genre. So at Thanksgiving, when she lent me three of her vampire books, I wasn’t really in a rush to read them. They sat on my bookshelf for over 2 months without so much as a glance. (Stacy, can you believe that???)
So a couple weeks ago, I picked one up to read while I was on the treadmill because the volume was sorta not working so good on the TV/computer. You know, it’s not easy to read a book and run at the same time. :) Didn’t matter, it only took a few minutes to hook me. I was on the treadmill for way longer than I planned. (great strategy by the way). Well, I raced through the three books way to fast. They are fantastic! Amazing. The first book is called Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer,if you haven’t read it, what are you waiting for? Then New Moon, and Eclipse. The next book, Breaking Dawn, isn’t due out until August. :( What am I going to do? I have already re-read the first three. I’m completely obsessed.

Look at them, how bad can they be?

2 comments:

Luke and MaKayle said...

Don't worry, it took me quite awhile to get talked into reading these books too, but then once I started...watch out! I don't think I've read any three books faster! What are we going to do 'til August!?

Allison said...

Also bitten....what can I say! Can't wait for August!