Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Life is a bowl of cherries




Its finally cherry time. Yes, we had beautiful spring, perfect cherry weather until the week before harvest. Then the rains came and split most of our little red delicacies. We can't seem to find the funds to get a helicoptor out and shake off the moisture like the orchards surrounding us, but you might think that since we have to deal with the long nights of listening to them hovering about, they would just take care of our two little trees out of courtesy. No, no our poor cherries get no love, and so our crop is partially spoiled. Fear not, we still have enough of the rainier for a few lunches. As for the sweet cherries, probably enough for a few pies. They are too sour to eat plain. We only have that tree to pollinate the Raineir.






As we picked them, Hayden commented to me, "Mom, we are farmers. We are picking the cherries off our farm. "
Farmers?
huh, I thought we were just Gardners.


2 comments:

Paula said...

Mmm. You are so lucky to your own cherries on your own farm I love cherries. When I was a kid, I climbed my Grandpa's tree with my cousin and we ate cherries and spit pits at my sister and her brothers down on the ground. Real nice. But don't tell Hayden- it'll give him ideas... XOXOXO

Lori said...

We discovered last night that there are worms in our cherries! I guess Heath was a little too late with the bug spray. Hayden cried as I threw out our harvest. Very sad. As for him spitting pits, he'll figure that one out I'm sure. :) The sour cherries are not very good anyway, pretty much you can only make pies with them.