Wednesday, May 09, 2007

911

Last night was rough. My baby was up several times, eating every 2 hours. We have been going 3, sometimes 4 hour stretches. I missed those last night. So this morning, I was exhausted. My grandma was staying with us, and my aunt and uncle were here as well.
We had big plans to go to my favorite craft store, (yes, craften wherenhousen, for those of you familiar with the world famous landmark). I was pretty excited to have someone to watch the baby while I showered, meaning I was going to take a long, hot, relaxing shower instead of my typical race to get clean before the kids tear the place apart while I leave them unattended for more than 30 seconds.
While I was getting ready to hop in, I heard some commotion downstairs and then Marlee let out a sad little distressed scream. It didn’t sound right. I could hear my aunt and grandma talking, they seemed concerned about the situation so I went to check it out. My grandma was cleaning vomit off her blouse and my aunt was trying to calm the baby who was very upset. The next few minutes are sort of a blur, but my baby was gasping and choking between labored screams. She was very distressed and kept throwing her head around and arching her back. It was very frightening. She hadn’t eaten in over an hour and had been resting very peacefully before she threw up all over grandma. I tried to calm her, but nothing worked.
I called 911 and the operator told me that she needed to be on her side or tummy, although she was still screaming and gagging. I was a basket case. The operator told me that the screaming was good though, that meant she was breathing.
It seemed to take forever for the ambulance to arrive. I know I was on the phone with 911 for quite awhile before they got there. In fact about a minute before they pulled up, Marlee just laid her head down and fell asleep. My aunt later told me that she had spit up some slimy thing right before she calmed down, but I hadn’t noticed.
The paramedics checked her out and said that she had good color, was breathing fine and didn’t seem to be in any distress or anything. They were willing to take her to the hospital, but didn’t think it was necessary. They advised me to call my pediatrician and follow up with him if needed. Since she was calm, sleeping and peaceful, I decided that sitting in the ER all day with all the germs that are floating about may not be the best for my 1 week old baby.
The pediatrician seemed to think that would be fine as well, we are already scheduled to see him in the morning. So, then I spent the rest of the day just holding her and keeping a very close eye on her breathing. She has been perfectly normal since.
I am very grateful that my aunt was here, and just as grateful that the kids are not. It was a wild morning, not one I want to ever repeat. I did eventually get a shower, however it was the hurry-up-before-the-baby-starts-screaming,-or-gagging-or-throwing-up variety, but we never made it to the craft store. Last night was rough, today was even rougher.

Marlee sleeping peacefully after all the paramedics cleared out.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh gosh, what a scary experience. I know that in the hospital we have all the resources. I cant imagine what I would do at home alone with my baby. I am glad you had some resources with you

Jamie said...

So scary Lor, hope baby is all better today.