Saturday, May 26, 2007

Adjusting

What a week. My two older kids have come to realize that if I am nursing Marlee, they can cause all kinds of trouble and Mom can’t do anything about it. Its been fun! Not only that, but Miss Marlee has had a few days where she has decided not to do anything but fuss. No naps, no being set down, just scream at mom while she bounces around the house. Poor Hayden and Sage have not got much attention from me.
I have guilt over this, but not sure how to change it. The older two get cheated because I am always caring for Marlee; they don’t get the attention they want and deserve. Marlee sort of gets cheated too, because once she is fed, clothed, bathed and diapered, I feel obligated to set her down and move on to other things. Not sure she is getting all the attention she deserves either. I won’t even go into how neglected the house work is! I guess I can’t win, but I am sure trying. The first few weeks of a new baby are pretty much just about survival.

Well, we finished off T-ball. Hayden had his Green Wolves pizza party and got his trophy before Wednesday night’s game. He thought it was pretty cool. No rest for the weary though, summer is about here and we are registered for soccer (he can’t wait!), and about to register for swim lessons. He is really looking forward to fall for flag football. He is very into sports right now; his dad is tickled. They have been doing some serious catch in the back yard. Hayden has gotten to be really good. Its sort of impressive to watch.

Sage has gotten a bad case of the jealous bug. She does not particularly appreciate me spending so much time with the baby, sometimes flat out tells me not to hold the baby, hold her instead. The other day I was rocking Marlee and Sage wanted to climb up on my lap too. Not sure I could hold both I told her to hang on, but she didn’t and before I knew it, I had both my girls. Sage was happy for a minute, then ordered me to get rid of the baby and just hold her. She gets very mad if Marlee has one of her blankets. I wrapped the baby in a blanket of Sage’s and the girl tried to yank her sister out of it. She was not pleased with me. Sage is excited to have lots of new things around to play with: baby swing, bouncy seat, baby bath, baby gym. All those things are not really made to hold a big 2 ½ year old, so we try to gently tell her no, but she is not so much into listening. Well, she does hear us. She told a lady the other day, “this is my baby sister, we don’t poke her in the eye, we can’t stand on her tummy, and we can’t sit on her head.” It was very matter-of-fact and absolutely hilarious. Today, I told her not to do something and she defiantly looked at me and stated boldly, "I am a princess!"

Marlee continues to fill out. She is so long and lean. I am convinced that she smiles appropriately. My aunt would not dispute this. Very often I get a big grin out of her when she is calm and just looking around by leaning in closely and talking real soft to her. Its adorable. She has branched out from simple sleepers; since its been quite warm, we have been wearing lots of cute little outfits. I was very worried for awhile, all her hand-me-down clothes were from her November-born sister and December-born cousin. Translation: fleece sleepers, warm stuff. Not so great for the 80 degree plus weather we have been having and soon we will head into the 90s and above. But we have managed to put together an awesome wardrobe of warm weather appropriate stuff with the help of our wonderful friends and family. Thanks to all!

Heath got the boat up and running today. Weather is right for boating, now just need some passengers…He had lots of help mowing the lawn too.



No comments: